Permanent marker stains can be used for a variety of purposes in the home, office, or school. It can help mark personal items so that you can keep track of which stuff are yours. But sometimes, permanent markers though can cause a major cleaning problem for homeowners. Accidents and mishaps tend to happen inside the home, especially if you have overly creative and messy kids that play around with it inside the house.
Accidentally getting permanent marker stains on your area rug is not something that you would ever want to happen in your home. They are called permanent markers for a reason which is why removing it can be quite problematic. Thankfully, it is not an impossible task as there are ways that you can try to help solve this problem. Here are some of the steps that you can take to clean up this mess easily.
- Start by blotting the marker stain on your rug using a clean white cloth. This can help in removing some of the marker stain out of the rug fibers. Do this repeatedly until there is no more stain transferring to the cloth.
- Get some clean water and apply some of it onto the stained area of the rug. This is going to help dilute the marker stain so that it can be removed easily. After diluting the stain, use a paper towel to blot the rug again until it dries up.
- Make a cleaning solution using a teaspoon of non-bleach laundry detergent combined with three cups of warm water. The laundry detergent is perfect in getting rid of stains and spots on fabric, upholstery, and also on your rug. Place the solution inside an empty spray bottle and then proceed with the next steps.
- Pour a small amount of the cleaning solution onto the stained area of the area rug and then proceed in blotting the area again and again using some paper towels. This is going to help lift the stain out of the rug fibers and onto the paper towel.
- Repeat the previous steps until all of the stain is gone. It may take you several tries but pretty soon all of the permanent marker stain will be removed.
- For the last step, pour a cup of water on the area of the rug that you just cleaned and then dry it using some clean rags to complete the task.